Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Blogging

It's odd to me that we are now a generation of people who write on a computer instead of writing letters to keep people informed about our lives.
Here's my latest pet peeve.
I like to collect books of people's letters that have been published. Do you realize that this whole generation will miss out on people's private moments because letter-writing is at an all-time low? Where will the books come from that contain the letters to author's friends, or some public figures' private relationship, or some military figures' written thoughts back to his wife. If Winston Churchill had had email, we would not know anything about how the man thought. That TOTALLY bugs me. I don't know why, but it just does.
Perhaps it is because I have friends with whom I correspond with completely through email. Once that email is deleted, the only remembrance of it is my own perception. Some day, I will be an old woman, and I will wish I had a stack of envelopes from some secret love, wrapped in a ribbon, so that I can re-read them and remind myself of distant times.
Ah well, times they are a-changing......

3 comments:

Paul said...

hey... we are a paperless society... we get our bills electronically, and then have to print them ourselves, so that we can have a hard copy ... TSK TSK !!

here's the thing... just don't delete the emails.... make a folder and keep them.... then some day, when you are old, ( sooner for some of us than others ) .. you can just look on your computer.....

but I do agree with you.. one of my most cherished treasures, is a box of letters, many of which were from my grammie, when I was away at college.... I'd not have those anymore if email had been invented....

hey, it was nice to hear from you!:)

jamie said...

Ya. What Paul said. Why are messages stored on electronic media any different than messages stored on paper????

One should never delete emails. One might need them one day to cover one's a$$

Miss Pamyla said...

You will both be thrilled to note that I just read a magazine and found a whole section devoted to the fact that without letterwriting, we will lose tons of our history. I was fairly pleased with myself, and thought a great deal about how I could present a very childish response.
But I refrained!